Date: 27 Sep 2023
Job Posting End Date: 15 October 2023
Job Country: Australia
Job State/Province: South Australia
Job Location/Region: Roxby Downs
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
Olympic Dam is one of the world's most significant deposits of copper, gold, and uranium. Located 560 kilometres north of Adelaide, South Australia, Olympic Dam is a part of our Minerals Australia operation. It's made up of underground and surface operations and operates a fully integrated processing facility from ore to metal.
About the Role
An exciting opportunity exists to join the Olympic Dam Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Team in the role of Specialist Radiation and Occupational Hygiene (ROH), reporting to the Superintendent -Radiation and Occupational Hygiene.
You will be an integral member in a team of dedicated ROH professionals enabling the health, safety and wellbeing of our workforce. You will play an instrumental role in implementing OD’s radiation and occupational hygiene management plans, supporting exposure reduction initiatives and our customers utilising BHP’s operating system (BOS).
Your accountabilities will include:
- Anticipate, identify, assess, recommend and verify controls for the following:
- Radiation hazards including long lived radioactive dust (LLRD), gamma irradiation, and radon decay products (RDP), radiation emitting equipment, and processes such as radiation contamination clearance, waste management and transport requirements.
- Occupational hygiene hazards including dust, diesel particulates, organic vapours, noise, gases, thermal stress, asbestos, vibration and biological agents.
- Act as the Assistant Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)
- Oversee the radiation and occupational hygiene monitoring program as per the ROH management plans including real-time monitoring equipment.
- Provide specialist/ functional expertise to leadership on ROH related programs/ initiatives/ controls to mitigate risks and enable compliance with HSE and statutory requirements.
- Lead the management of hygiene and radiation improvement projects, update project schedules/status reports and deliver project outcomes.
- Lead the management of unexpected ROH events including hazard assessments and recommendation of immediate corrective actions to prevent exposure.
- Lead the management of OD ROH audits (internal and external).
- Manage Cority database to ensure quality of monitoring data, accurate reporting of results to stakeholders and management ROH equipment.
- Perform training for internal and external personnel on ROH processes as required.
- Complete assigned 1SAP work management activities.
- Comply to and consistently follow the standards and procedures designed to enable you to work safely and effectively.
This role will suit an experienced, self-motivated radiation and occupational hygiene professional who is committed to improving the health and wellbeing of our people to support a thriving workforce. You will also be motivated by a fast-paced environment and the opportunity to problem solve and drive positive change.
As a successful candidate you will possess the following:
- Tertiary qualification in Radiation/Nuclear Science, Occupational Hygiene, Toxicology, Health Science, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering or similar.
- High level of technical and practical skills in radiation and/or occupational hygiene.
- Ability to engage, coach and influence multiple stakeholders at varying levels of the organisation on health-related initiatives or matters.
- Ability to work autonomously while also thriving in a collaborative team environment and take personal accountability for actions and performance.
- Strong planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Previous exposure to mining and minerals processing industries is preferable.
- Current Drivers licence (manual is preferable)
While not mandatory, but will be desirable if you also possess the following:
- Licenced radiation safety officer.
- Full AIOH Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH) membership.
- Previous experience with Cority (or Medgate) database.
Location and Roster
A role at Olympic Dam allows you to balance your work and family commitments, with the flexibility to change these as your life evolves. To find out more about working with Olympic Dam and to meet some of our team, Click here
There is option for Fly-in, Fly-out or Residential base in Roxby Downs and you will be working on 7 days, 7 days off.
Roxby Downs is located about 560 kilometers north of Adelaide and about 1 hr flight from Olympic Dam Airport. Estimate population of 4,500 this town offer a community lifestyle with all the necessities you wish such as school, pool, art gallery, cinema, community library, community center, sports club etc. To find out more about living in Roxby Downs click here, while detail about lifestyle in Roxby Down clicks here.
While Adelaide offers a Mediterranean climate, beachside lifestyle, cosmopolitan cafés and restaurants, and world-class wine regions just an hour away. All this plus an annual international festivals and events calendar make Adelaide a vibrant, cultured, friendly environment to live, work and play in.
What is on offer?
- Permanent employment with BHP with all the benefits of full-time work.
- Competitive remuneration.
- Annual performance incentive and salary review.
- Generous share match scheme.
- Various leave options.
- Ongoing support for you and your family through our Employee Assistance Program.
Reference Number – 72013
- You may be requested to complete a video assessment as part of the initial recruitment process. Video assessment is not applicable for BHP Internal applicants.
- Application close on Sunday, 15 Oct 2023.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
If you are already employed directly by BHP, please log in using your BHP email address or apply via our internal jobs portal.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size, stability and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a best-in-class employee share program. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
At BHP, we know that we are strengthened by diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to making BHP a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive and be at their best every day. We are focused on creating a workforce that’s more diverse and represents the communities where we work and live. providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and recognise that true diversity includes gender, age, race, disability status, sexual orientation, religion, neurodiversity, education levels, and many more aspects of your identity.
BHP is committed to providing a recruitment process that is fair, equitable and accessible for all. If you have a disability, we know that it may be helpful for us to adjust our process to make it equitable for your individual situation. If you would like to reach out to someone about your situation and our recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com.