ANSTO is currently advertising for a Radiochemistry Laboratory Technician. Applications close: Sunday 21 July 2020 18 month opportunity | Full Time | $62k - $70k +15.4% super
About the position
The primary objective of the Radiochemistry Laboratory Technician is to support the research and operational requirements of the radiochemical laboratories and instrument laboratories that form Radioanalytical Chemistry (RAC) within Nuclear Stewardship by preparing samples and operating analytical equipment for the measurement of radioactivity in environmental samples and ensuring smooth and effective operation and maintenance of equipment and facilities.
Duties and responsibilities
Skills and Experience
- The Radiochemistry Laboratory Technician reports to the RAC Manager as well as respective laboratory managers.
- Under instruction of an experienced radiochemist, assist in radiochemical separation and purification of actinides and other radionuclides to accurately quantify the activity and identify radionuclides in environmental samples for the purpose of research and site assessment.
- Prepare high quality alpha, beta and gamma sample measurement sources under instruction of an experienced radiochemist.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment such as titration equipment, analytical balances, high speed centrifuge, water purification systems, pH meters and micropipettes to ensure equipment and facilities are well maintained, and operating correctly and safely with minimal down-time.
- Maintain and clean labware and lab facilities.
- Practice good laboratory housekeeping, ensure laboratory cleanliness is upheld and adequate stock of chemicals and consumables is maintained.
For further technical information relating to this position please refer to the Position Information Package or contact Sangeeth Thiruvoth on (02) 9717 3786. For all other queries please contact the HR Shared Services Team on +61 (02) 9717 9912.
Link to the advert: here.
- A Certificate IV with relevant experience or Diploma qualification in Science.
- Practical experience working within a chemical or analytical laboratory environment.
- Technical laboratory skills in chemistry or radiochemistry.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and establish productive relationships.