Closing time: Wednesday 20 October 2021
ANSTO is currently advertising for OPAL Reactor Operator. Fixed- term 18 months | Competitive Salary +15.4% super | Sutherland Shire | Work-life balance | Health & Wellbeing Programs | Ensure the safe and efficient operation of the OPAL reactor facility.
About the Opportunity
The OPAL Reactor Operator ensures the safe and efficient operation of the OPAL reactor facility and associated plant and equipment. Responsible for ensuring operational systems are working correctly, the OPAL Reactor Operator works in accordance with approved procedures and instructions and is instrumental in the development and continuous improvement of such processes. Offering expert technical skills, the OPAL Reactor Operator monitors operational systems, undertakes plant and equipment testing, radiological protection and routine surveillances. Extensive training and development is provided prior to executing these developed skills in the position. Working within a regulated environment the OPAL Reactor Operator is required to respond to incidents and make critical decisions. The OPAL Reactor Operator will have exceptional analytical and diagnostic skills supported by trained and developed expertise in integrated reactor systems, understanding of reactor physics, thermal hydraulics and will be a key contributor towards improving plant operations and reliability. The OPAL Reactor Operator is required to work with a range of stakeholders and has the ability to communicate across the organisation.
“The OPAL Reactor Operator role requires people with passion and enthusiasm to take ownership of the continuous improvement of the way we do business in order for the OPAL team to succeed in making the OPAL Reactor the safest and best operated multipurpose reactor in the world. We are inspired by the challenge of being the best we can be at meeting the health needs of the public and providing neutrons for science and technology”. Jason Chakovski, OPAL Operations Manager
Skills and Experience
- Possession of a Post Trade Certificate to Advanced Diploma qualifications (or equivalent)
- Strong problem solving ability and aptitude
- Ability to operate plant & equipment from the field or from a computer based control system
- Demonstrated experience in following policy, procedure and instructions
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices and safety culture
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience with the production of written technical reports
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor the OPAL reactor facility and associated plant and equipment to ensure operational systems are working correctly.
- Safely and efficiently operate the OPAL reactor from within the main control room or from the field in accordance with approved procedures and instructions
- Conduct functional testing of plant and equipment, performance of routine surveillances
- Perform defined radiological protection and surveillance tasks.
- Respond to and report on incidents
- Identify and implement process improvements
Link to the advert: here.