Applications close: 11:59pm Tuesday 13 September 2022
Full Details found here
- Southern Suburbs & Sutherland Shire
- $65k - $84k + 15.4% Super + Salary Sacrificing
- Ongoing Full Time | Work-life balance | Health & Wellbeing Programs
About the Opportunity
We operate much of our country’s landmark science facilities including one of the world’s most modern nuclear research reactors (OPAL). Importantly, ANSTO is helping to improve our health with one in two Australians benefitting from the nuclear medicines produced using the OPAL research reactor while being treated for serious illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.
The Waste Processing Technician provides safe and efficient collection, storage, decontamination and disposal services for all radioactive and hazardous waste generated and/or stored within the ANSTOs Lucas Heights and Camperdown sites.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Accountable for Business as Usual activities along with unplanned events within remote handled waste processing and handling, contact handled solid wastes, contact handled liquid wastes, waste characterisation, decontamination, laundry services and support to ANSTO’s projects
- Ensure effective and compliant service for the collection, transportation, storage, processing, decontamination, characterisation of radioactive waste material in accordance with licence conditions, plans and arrangements and ANSTO’s Safety Management System - this includes use of hot-cells and manipulators, use of SCADA systems, driving trucks, using pumping systems for site effluent and liquid waste treatment systems as well as corrosive chemicals and machinery to decontaminate items
- Establish and maintain productive relationships and provide advice to internal customers, in accordance with set guidelines, standards and service level agreements. Present a professional approach and ensure customers are informed of changes to activities or decisions that may affect the quality of service provided
- Proactively undertake inspections of waste, waste processing equipment and where necessary organise repairs and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Provide written and verbal advice and feedback to management on equipment performance and waste processes to drive improvements to plant availability, safety and efficiency
Skills and Experience
- High School or equivalent Qualification in a Science/engineering, or trade skills
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of operating plant and equipment in a highly regulated environment, hazardous industries
- Sound computer skills with ability to operate SAP and MS Office products to enable completion of activities
- Ability to apply instructions, procedures and policies in accordance with safety and regulatory requirements
- Willingness to develop skills using trade knowledge, practical skills and experience to safely operate equipment including, transport flasks, manipulators, cranes and powered hand tools.