- Exciting Full Time continuing role for an experienced Radiation Safety Professional to provide expert advice, guidance and technical expertise to a broad range of clients across the University.
- Great opportunity to showcase your subject matter expertise to provide effective support to the Health and Safety teams, clients and colleagues
- Base salary of $129,847 - $137,008 plus generous 17% employers contribution to Superannuation
About the opportunity
The primary purpose of this role is to lead on behalf of the University the provision of sector leading radiological safety and risk management approaches including advice on operational activity, working with radioactive materials, storage, and accountancy of radioactive materials. The successful candidate will also develop, plan, coordinate and manage radiation safety programs, including the implementation of those programs, to ensure the safety of the University's employees, students and visitors and will lead as technical adviser on end-to-end waste management and disposal of radioactive materials.
Responsibilities in this role include:
- providing expert health and safety advice and guidance in Radiation Safety to management and workers
- undertake risk assessment, inspections, audits, and problem-solving activities in collaboration with and provide specialist advice to clients
- uplift the capability, performance and compliance of the University's obligations to Radiation safety
- propose and deliver training face to face training sessions on relevant safety topics
- provide expert safety advice and guidance to Faculties, University Schools, Core Research, MDIs, and Central Units Portfolios to enable the identification and execution of their H&S goals and objectives
- support the ongoing review of clients health and safety practices and develops recommendations and plans to achieve continuous improvement and compliance with best practice and standards.
- develop and communicate safety policies, procedures and programs
- build and sustain a positive/proactive safety culture and ensure the visibility of Radiation safety in health and safety as a critical risk
- support leaders and provide coaching and mentoring to build health and safety skills and leadership
- facilitate and support the development of local health safety plans (where applicable), integrating them into the client groups overall Safety Plan
- demonstrated practical experience in applying specialist Radiation Safety strategies in complex scientific or medical laboratory-based research environments
- practical hands on experience with radiation detection equipment
- scientific qualifications would be highly desirable
- demonstrated experience in developing an effective and sustainable safety culture of conceptualising, developing, and implementing practical compliance and safety programs
- experience in providing expert safety advice with a demonstrated understanding of relevant legislation, Australian standards, and guidelines
- a high level of stakeholder engagement skills with the ability to negotiate and influence outcomes
- knowledge of Risk Management practices and the application of government legislation.
Link to the job ad: