Closing time: Thursday 16th of September 2021.
ARPANSA is currently advertising for Science Officer – non-ionising radiation position. Ongoing - Full time| $92,486 - $97,106 per annum package inc 15.4% super|Yallambie, VIC
Primary purpose of the role
In this role you will, under limited direction, perform a range of moderately complex to complex scientific tasks related to non-ionising radiation exposure. These tasks will include a focus on risk and health assessment from radiofrequency and optical radiation while also providing support to the activities and research of the EME Program. You will liaise with other sections and external stakeholders to facilitate cross-agency or multi-agency activities. You will work closely with other staff within the Assessment and Advice Section to ensure that advice provided on radiation exposure is based on the latest scientific knowledge, and national and international experience.
- Undertake specialist research and analysis of non-ionising radiation exposure with a focus on radiofrequency and optical radiation, and contribute to the research and activities of the EME program
- Perform safety assessments, radiation dose assessments and health impact assessments
- Contribute and participate in relevant committees for the development of Codes and Standards for radiation protection
- Contribute to the development of information material on non-ionising radiation exposure including scientific publications, reports to government and website content
- Be an active member of ARPANSA’s Talk to a Scientist program which responds to enquiries from industry and members of the public
- Maintain accurate records of work performed and results obtained, and support the preparation of associated guidance documents and technical reports.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will possess tertiary qualifications in a relevant branch of science or engineering from an Australian educational institution or comparable overseas qualifications or other alternative qualifications and experience appropriate to the duties.
You will have well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute effectively in a team environment, sometimes in a leading role, together with the ability to liaise with all levels of staff, clients and members of the general public. You will have the ability to consistently perform efficiently and effectively at a high level and the demonstrated ability to make well-balanced and informed decisions.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. The Agency requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are 5 selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to limit their response to no more than 300 words per selection criteria.
Link to the advert: here.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake scientific tasks associated with non-ionising radiation exposure.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills to draw accurate conclusions based on evidence.
- Demonstrated strong organisational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and build and sustain positive relationships with team members and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strong communication, liaison and report writing skills.