Applications close: 11 September 2023
- Postion Number - 13648
- Australian Public Service Level 6
- $89,288 - $102,130 + an additional 15.4% Superannuation
- Australian citizenship or permanent residency with citizenship application well progressed
- Miranda Sydney NSW
- Regulatory Services Branch
- Waste, Decommissioning and Transport
The Waste, Decommissioning and Transport Section has recently been established within the Regulatory Services Branch. This new section is responsible for regulation of legacy sites, waste stores, waste operational facilities, decommissioning activities and for coordination of ARPANSA’s engagement with the Australian Radioactive Waste Agency (ARWA) in developing its national strategy for decommissioning and establishing disposal pathways for low and intermediate level radioactive waste. This includes the assessment of new and amended licence applications, compliance monitoring via an inspection program and producing regulatory guidance. The WDT section also has responsibilities for ensuring ARPANSA’s transport competent authority obligations are met. The Section will support national and international engagement activities including relevant International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Safety Standards Committees, the Joint Convention on spent fuel and radioactive waste management, and OECD-Nuclear Energy Agency activities including the Radioactive Waste Management Committee and the Committee on Decommissioning and Legacy Management.
What we offer
Working at ARPANSA represents a dynamic and exciting opportunity to grow your career and access capability-building professional opportunities. At ARPANSA, our workforce priorities are building sustainable capability to enable achievement of ARPANSA’s mission, leading as an employer of choice in all the fields we provide opportunities, and strategically aligning our work to deliver meaningful outcomes for the Australian Community. A role at ARPANSA involves:
• Values and behaviours that underpin a culture characterised by commitment, respect, delivery, inclusion and collegiality.
• Opportunities to engage with national and international stakeholders, in a context that values leading practice science.
• The opportunity to pursue your interests while contributing to the Australian community.
• A commitment to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace where all employees are valued. We appreciate the experiences, skills and perspectives of all individuals and harness a collaborative environment. We actively encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds.
• Great working conditions including competitive salaries with 15.4% superannuation, generous leave conditions, flexible work practices, modern amenities, and free parking at both our Yallambie and Miranda sites.
Primary purpose of the role
In this role you will be responsible for providing advice in relation to ARPANSA regulatory functions, including assessment of licence applications; monitoring compliance and conducting inspections; providing advice on radiation protection; nuclear safety and the regulation of sources, prescribed radiation facilities and nuclear installations; and assisting with the development of policies, strategies and regulatory guidance.
• Assess applications for licences of nuclear installations, prescribed radiation facilities and sources against legislation, guidelines, codes and standards;
• Perform inspections of nuclear installations and prescribed radiation facilities to assess compliance with legislation and associated codes and standards;
• Contribute to the development of regulatory policies, processes and associated guidelines;
• Contribute to the development of codes and standards for radiation protection and nuclear safety;
• Liaise with ARPANSA stakeholders on issues related to regulation of sources, prescribed radiation facilities and nuclear installations;
• Undertake assigned tasks as a member of the Regulatory Services Branch as required.
Our ideal candidate - job specific capabilities
The role is part of a larger regulatory team responsible for providing advice on the regulation of sources, prescribed radiation facilities and nuclear installations undertaken by Australian Government entities and their contractors. The position provides an opportunity to contribute to regulatory reform and build productive and sustainable relationships with ARPANSA’s stakeholders.
To be considered for this position, you must possess a science or engineering degree from an Australian university or comparable overseas qualifications or have equivalent experience in a regulatory or operational role. It is also desirable to have experience in radiation protection.
The successful applicant will be agile, demonstrate a high degree of initiative, the capacity to analyse a variety of sources of information and make sound recommendations, possess excellent oral and written communication skills and drive to advocate ARPANSA’s role in radiation protection and nuclear safety.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate from time to time as required. As a minimum, ARPANSA requires all new employees to obtain and maintain a Baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement. However, this role will require the incumbent to obtain and maintain a higher level of security clearance.
There are six selection criteria for this position. If you want to advance your career, please tells us your skills, experiences and achievements that demonstrate all selection criteria in no more than 1000 words in total.
1. Experience in radiation protection and/or nuclear safety or working in a high hazard, regulated environment.
2. Regulatory experience either within a regulatory agency or a regulated entity.
3. Ability to perform assessments and inspections under guidance and undertake systematic analysis of technical information and contribute to strategic thinking.
4. Proven ability to contribute to and perform in a high performing regulatory team.
5. Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive working relationships.
6. Proven ability to act with high levels of integrity and professionalism and demonstrate well-developed skills in high level communication and negotiation.
Employment with ARPANSA is subject to:
• conditions prescribed within the Public Service Act 1999.
• Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA) granting a security clearance at the required level.
• evidence of qualifications required of the role.
• evidence of a completed national police-check with no risks identified by ARPANSA.
• the CEO of ARPANSA, or their Delegate, approving a Notice of Engagement.
The Australian Government Security Clearance Application Guide Book provides information on minimum eligibility requirements for holding a security clearance at the required level. Please ensure that you are able to provide the necessary documents if you apply for the position. More information on the security clearance vetting process is available on the AGSVA website.
provide the necessary documents if you apply for the position. More information on the security clearance vetting process is available on the AGSVA website.
How to apply
Applications can be lodged through ARPANSA Careers.
Your application will consist of resume, ARPANSA cover letter, contact details for two referees and a ‘1000-word pitch’ that considers:
- Key accountabilities
- Job specific capabilities
- Selection criteria.
ARPANSA recognises the need for our workforce to reflect the community we serve and provide an inclusive environment that respects and values diversity. We strongly encourage qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme applicants who choose to apply under the scheme will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy, where they meet the minimum requirements for the position. ARPANSA will provide reasonable adjustments or flexibilities in the recruitment process as requested. For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability.
The selection process will establish a merit pool that may be used to fill similar positions within 18 months of advertising.
To find out more about the employment conditions at ARPANSA, please refer to our Enterprise Agreement.
Thank you for your interest.