Application closing date: 10/04/2023
Primary purpose of the role
Under broad direction from the Branch Head, the Director Source Safety and Security is responsible for regulation of radiation sources held by Commonwealth source licence holders to ensure compliance with the ARPANS Act and Regulations. The role is also responsible for management and coordination of import and exports of radioactive sources into and out of Australia under the Customs (Prohibited Imports and Exports) Regulations, security of sources and physical protection arrangements, including transport of radioactive sources.
- Lead, manage, and provide strategic direction to the Source Safety and Security Section, including designing, planning and executing a compliance monitoring regime for radiation sources
- Provide high level support to the CEO of ARPANSA, through the Branch Head and EG, in areas of technical policy development, including the development of radiation protection and nuclear safety guidelines
- Lead, manage and undertake inspections, audits and other activities associated with ARPANSA’s regulatory functions with regards to radiation sources, prescribed radiation facilities and nuclear installations
- Manage and coordinate import and export of radioactive sources in to and out of Australia in conjunction with the State and Territory regulators
- Represent ARPANSA and Australia at appropriate national and international forums
Our ideal candidate - job specific capabilities
The successful applicant will have highly developed managerial skills with a demonstrated record of successfully driving change and being able to respond flexibly and promptly to organisational changes. The applicant must also be capable of developing and motivating staff to successfully contribute to the business outcomes of the Branch and the Agency.
The applicant must have a degree in science or engineering from an Australian university or alternative, or have comparable qualifications or equivalent experience. The applicant must also have excellent communication and consultation skills and expertise in writing scientific and/or technical documents.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate and internationally as required. The position is a designated security assessed position which will require you to successfully undertake and maintain a security clearance.
There are five main selection criteria for this role. Applicants are asked to provide a statement of claims of no more than 1000 words, addressing all selection criteria below.
- Demonstrated leadership capability to manage professional, technical and administrative staff to deliver organisational strategic outcomes
- Demonstrated experience in operational or regulatory activities relating to radiation protection and/or nuclear safety
- Demonstrated experience in the conduct of safety and security of radioactive sources
- Demonstrated ability to lead manage and achieve quality outcomes in major projects through clear, concise and readily understood planning, communication leadership and reporting
- .High level interpersonal and communication skills which demonstrate a capacity to work collaboratively and build and sustain positive relationships with staff and a range of key internal and external stakeholders and clients
How to apply
Applications can be lodged through ARPANSA Careers.
Your application will consist of resume, contact details for two referees and a ‘1000-word pitch’ that considers:
- Key accountabilities
- Job specific capabilities
- Selection criteria.
ARPANSA recognises the need for our workforce to reflect the community we serve and provide an inclusive environment that respects and values diversity. We strongly encourage qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please click here to apply.