ARPANSA is currently advertising for Science Officer – Radiochemist positions. Applications close: 09 June 2021|Non-ongoing (up to 3 years)| $98,057 – $112,161 per annum package inc 15.4% super|Yallambie, VIC
Primary purpose of the role
In this role, you will work under limited direction and perform a range of complex scientific and coordination tasks associated with the operation and maintenance of radiochemistry facilities. You will form part of a small team of scientific and technical-based staff engaged in the measurement of radioactivity in environmental samples and the radiological surveillance of the Australian environment. You will assist with related tasks including the implementation of relevant quality assurance programs, maintenance of records, preparation of technical reports and research activities. Performing a range of scientific tasks, you will assist ARPANSA in reporting and advising on sources of radioactivity.
Domestic and/or international travel and field work may be required.
- Under limited direction and using established principles, practices and procedures, undertake a range of complex tasks associated with the radiochemical analysis of environmental samples and with the development and maintenance of a radiochemistry laboratory
- Provide high-level support and supervision in a small team of scientific and technical staff involved in the measurement of radionuclides in environmental samples and the development of analytical techniques
- Participate in the development and maintenance of quality-assured measurement systems, and ensure data analysis and validation is undertaken in accordance with relevant standards
- Maintain accurate records of work performed and results obtained and prepare associated administrative and technical reports
- Participate in, and sometimes lead, moderately complex environmental studies and assessments.
Job specific capabilities
To be considered for this position, you will hold a tertiary qualification in science from an Australian tertiary institution, or comparable qualification, and relevant experience which is appropriate to the duties of the position. You should possess a high level of scientific and technical expertise with a strong background in analytical chemistry and a sound knowledge in radiochemistry.
You will have well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute effectively in a team environment, sometimes in a leading role, together with the ability to liaise with all levels of staff, clients and members of the general public. You will have the ability to consistently perform efficiently and effectively at a high level and the demonstrated ability to make well-balanced and informed decisions.
You must hold Australian citizenship or possess permanent residency status leading to citizenship and be prepared to travel interstate and/or overseas as required. ARPANSA requires all new employees to undertake a baseline security clearance as a condition of engagement.
There are five selection criteria for this role. Candidates are asked to limit their response to no more than 300 words per selection criteria.
- Demonstrated experience in radiochemistry techniques and with instrumentation for the measurement of radionuclides in environmental samples.
- Demonstrated ability to apply initiative in adapting or developing experimental methods, under limited direction, to resolve moderately complex problems.
- Sound knowledge and experience in applying quality management systems within a laboratory setting, with a sound awareness of laboratory safety procedures in handling hazardous substances.
- Demonstrated well-developed oral and written communication skills including the maintenance of technical documentation and the ability to impart technical information to non-technical personnel and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cultivate positive working relationships with team members and a range of stakeholders, including in the delivery of projects.
Link to the advert: here.
- Flexible working options
- Study assistance and salary packaging options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Located in the leafy northern suburbs 15 km from CBD
- Modern amenities room with garden courtyard
- Free parking